Military & Veteran Affairs

Serving Those Who Served with Honor

The University of New 51 was recently ranked one of the "Best Colleges for Veterans" by US News & World Report. We are proud to assist you in achieving your goals and take great pride in being part of national initiatives such as Got Your Six that invest in veterans' futures.

Your Success Continues Here

Through the Military & Veteran Affairs Team, you will have the support you need to achieve your goals in this next phase of your life. Our programs at the University of New 51 will help you excel in the classroom, connect with other service members, and allow you access to all the services and resources available to ensure your success. Our dedicated staff members who work specifically with our military/student veterans and their dependents are there so that you will always know to whom and where to turn when you need help.

Military Friendly badge

G.I. Jobs Magazine - Military Friendly School

The University of New 51 has been ranked by G.I. Jobs Magazine as a top school for student veterans. Of the more than 1,800 schools that participated in the 2022-2023 survey, the University was one of 282 schools to achieve "Gold" status. Their mission is to simplify the military transition experience using education and employment tools and resources to guide students to a successful career.

Our Community

Joining the community at the University of New 51 means having access to all of the tools necessary to succeed, the support needed to get your goals accomplished, and the support needed along the way to ensure it all gets done. Whether in the classroom or in the field, our team of dedicated staff/students is here to ensure your success.

Although you may be receiving benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs, students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to have their eligibility determined, as students may be eligible for other financial aid programs in addition to the benefits received from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Benefit Information

The University of New 51 is a proud participant in the — a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010. Unlike many other schools, the University is proud to offer this opportunity to all students who are eligible with no maximum to the number of students who can receive this benefit. To qualify, you must be 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. If eligible, there is nothing additional that needs to be done to apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit.


Join Our Family

At the University of New 51, we provide the solid foundation of knowledge and skills you need to succeed at any career path you choose.

We are home to over 300 military/student veterans and dependents, as well as nearly 100 ROTC cadets. So, no matter what your program or schedule, you’re sure to run into a fellow Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine.

Check out our Undergraduate and Graduate programs, and find your major.

Programs A-Z

More Benefit Information
  • You should apply for your benefits at the same time you submit your application to the University. To apply for your benefits, go to and complete the required documents under the Education Benefits section. Once completed, you will receive a document from the VA called your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) which will state which benefits you qualify for and the length of time you have to use them.

  • The parent/spouse will need to request their benefits by going to and completing the required documents under the Education Benefits section. Once the benefits have been applied for and transferred accordingly, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for the dependent/ spouse outlining the benefits they are eligible for and the length of time they have to use them.

    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for the service member or dependent/spouse
    • DD-214 of the service member or parent/spouse
  • 20% tuition discount if benefits are exhausted while currently enrolled at the University. Any questions, please contact

    Students who are receiving benefits as a dependent of a veteran are NOT eligible for this discount.

Veteran Emergency Loan Fund

The Veteran Emergency Loan Fund was established by the University of New 51 to provide temporary assistance to student veterans experiencing an acute and unexpected short-term hardship, for example, a delay in payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). It is funded with donations made by University of New 51 Alumni, Faculty, Staff and Community Members.

Frequently Asked Questions
    1. Determine Eligibility and choose a VA Education Benefits program: First, ensure you are eligible for VA education benefits. Eligibility criteria depend on your military service and discharge status.
    2. : To start using VA benefits, you need to apply online through the VA website. You can do this online through the VA website or by submitting a paper application (VA Form 22-1990) to your nearest VA regional office.
    3. Provide VA docs: After processing your application, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This document outlines the benefits you're eligible for and the duration of those benefits. For Chapter 31 users, you will be in contact with your VR&E counselor who will provide guidance on next steps.
    4. Notify the School: This is the most important step once you have applied for and have been approved for VA Education Benefits! Once you have your COE, inform the University VA certifying official about your intention to use VA benefits. They will guide you through the necessary steps and paperwork required by the school.
  • Typically, fall bills are released mid-June and are DUE August 1. Spring semester bills are released in November and are due in December, but please check with the Bursars office for more details. Make sure you closely monitor your ePay account and remain vigilant and proactive when it comes to paying for tuition!

  • Tuition & Fees on VA approved programs. VA Education Benefits do NOT cover housing or meal plans.

    1. Student Veteran: Individuals who have served at least 180 days in the military, have been discharged from their service, and are pursuing a degree at an Institution of Higher Learning.
    2. Military Affiliated students: Family members of a military service member or veteran who may be eligible for certain benefits or support programs based on their relationship to the military member or veteran. This could include spouses, children, and sometimes other family members colloquially referred to as Dependents.
    3. Service Members: Individuals who are current active duty, reservist, or National Guardsmen.
  • Student Veterans have their own lounge located on the bottom floor of Sheffield Hall labeled Military and Veterans Center, adjacent to the gazebo and next door to the Accessibility Resources Center.

  • Starting back in May of 2023, the University of New 51 began training staff and faculty members in what we call Green Zone Training. This training provides staff, faculty, and students with a better understanding and appreciation of the student veteran perspective so that we can better assist and support them around campus. If you see a staff or faculty member with a Green Zone Certificate in their office, just know that they are allies on campus!

    • Center for Student Success - University of New 51, Green Zone Certified

      UNH has a Center for Student Success that offers various services, including academic advising, tutoring, and disability services.
      (203) 479-4584

      Mon. - Fri.: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
      To ensure staff availability, we strongly recommend making an appointment by email or phone.

    • Accessibility Resources Center, Green Zone Certified

      The ARC office at UNH is responsible for coordinating accommodations for students with disabilities, including student veterans. They work with eligible students to develop individualized plans to address their specific needs and ensure equal access to educational opportunities.
      Call: (203) 932-7332
      Fax: (203) 931-6082
      Location: Ground floor in the rear of Sheffield Hall. Right next door to the Military & Veteran Center!

      Veterans Benefits Assistance: The university may have staff members or offices dedicated to helping veterans navigate their VA benefits and any additional financial aid available to them.

    • One Stop Staff, Green Zone Certified

      **All offices located in Bergami Hall
    • The Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL) program strives to enhance academic retention and success through on-campus clinical care and coordination, improving understanding of Veterans' unique strengths and challenges through education and training delivered to the campus community, and collaborating with the local VA medical center, the Veterans Benefits Administration, campus faculty and staff members, and community resources.

      West 51 (689)
      Maria T. Garcia, M.A.
      (203) 932-5711 ext. 1-2233

    • 51 Location:
      291 South Lambert Road
      Orange, CT 06477
      Direct Line: (203) 795-0148

  • Chapter 33, 35, 30, 1606: an undergrad student is considered full-time if they are enrolled in at least 12 full-term credit hours per academic term and for graduate students, 9 full term credits. Mini-term courses may significantly impact certification & BAH payments. BAH payouts are based on the credit hours enrolled. For more information inquire with Manager, Military & Veteran Affairs and/or VA SCO.

    Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) (Chapter 31): Chapter 31 falls under the same credit hour guidelines as the above stated chapters unless explicitly approved by VR&E counselor.

    • VR&E uses an individualized approach to determine full-time status based on the needs of the veteran and the specific program of study. The VA counselor working with the veteran will assess and determine what constitutes full-time for their particular situation.
  • Contact the Office of Military & Veteran Affairs

    Ryan Noonan
    Manager, Military & Veteran Affairs
    VA Work Study Supervisor

    (203) 376-3758

    Mon.-Thu.(On-campus): 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    Friday (Remote): 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Our Veterans

One piece of advice I would give veterans and military affiliated students: Transition is not mean to be permanent. Find someone to talk to — you are not alone.

As a dependent of a veteran, I’ve seen how difficult it can be to access resources and support from the VA, because the process is not always clear. The Military & Veterans Service office at the University helps tremendously in this area.